Sunday, September 18, 2011

Weaving in Chinchero

So, after a whole month of waiting and working on my spinning, I got to go out to Chinchero Saturday and today to begin learning to weave. When you're learning, you begin with Jakimas-- narrow belt weavings.


On Saturday, I finished weaving two pre-made warps. The first was a plain weave, just to get used to the type of weaving, and get a feel for the tension and keeping a good edge. The second was the pattern Tanka Ch'uro, which seems to be a flower derived pattern. It is a simple pattern, used for getting used to reading pick-up patterns.

The Tanka Ch'uro pattern:

xxooxx
ooxxoo
oooooo
xxooxx
oooooo
ooxxoo
xxooxx
oooooo
ooxxoo
oooooo

Which looks like this:


Today I learned to make the warps, and then advanced to a more complex pattern called the Cuty. I'm told it's the basis for a great deal of the rest of the patterning.


The Cuty pattern:

oxxooxxo
oooooooo
xoooooox
xxooooxx
oxxooxxo
xxxxooxx
xooxxoox
ooooxxoo
xooxxoox
ooxxoooo
xooxxoox
xxooxxxx
oxxooxxo
xxooooxx
xoooooox
oooooooo

Which looks something like this:

oooooooo
oxxxxxxo
xxxoooxx
oxxooxxo
ooxxoooo
oooxxxoo
ooooxxxx
oxxoooxx
xxoooxxx
oxxxxxxo
oooooooo

I am planning to work on my Cuty Jakima during the evenings this week, possibly while watching Star Wars, possibly while I listen to my back-log of Savage Love podcasts. I'll show it off fully once it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment