Friday, September 02, 2011

Mercado de Ttio

Found my way to the Mercado de Ttio today, the closest local market to my apt. It's GIGANTIC!! I got freshly ground cumin (as in, still in the grinder freshly ground), something that looks like tumeric and smells like a mild pepper, some toasted seeds, carrots, onions, garlic, peruvian black olives (which are everywhere and I keep being told are delicious-- and they are) and limes. It's a nice walk, 15-20min maybe? And directly across from it is the BIG grocery store. So one stop shopping if I need it (however, this is me.... I won't be going to the grocery store for it if I can get it at a market.) I also (finally) found a hairbrush (cepillo para mi pelo), which I've been looking for since I got to Cusco (mine bit the dust in Cincy).

And for dinner tonight? Quinoia pilaf with fresh peas, market carrots, onion, garlic, seedy things, and so many spices... It was SPICY (maybe should've backed off on the red spice... whatever it is) and delicious. Cooking here requires some thinking and planning however, because the veggies take forever to cook and they have to be cooked completely-- so add the water first instead of last, boil said veggies, and onion, garlic and spices and then quinoia last (this is so backwards....). No oil needed. Also, while I'm on the topic of cooking, I got brave and baked brownies last night. They're as amazing as ever, however they took 45min to cook instead of 20min. Le sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment