Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A deviation from the Indigo Plans....

Indira called in sick today-- she said she ate something that didn't agree with her. So whatever was I to do?! I hadn't brought my computer (not that I wanted to be on it all day anyway), so I began balling up 30g balls of alpaca yarn for the dye testing.... I was interrupted the first time by the necessity for an umbrella swift for the skein to spin on. My trying to ask for an umbrella swift was apparently hilarious, as all the ladies in the office where the ball winders are laughed at me with I asked for their counter part. Paragua de la llana is not what it's called, as I found out. When one was uncovered, it was so sad and broken I had to tape it to it's pole and tie it down so it didn't shrink on me. I'm thinking of asking one of the manufacturers to donate a few for the Center.

I was interrupted the second time when Nilda asked if I was doing anything important today and then sent me and one of the weavers out to Chinchero to take pictures of hands doing pick-up weaving for the cover of the book she's working on. She wanted young and old and everything in the middle hands, with a variety of weaving sizes. So off we went. A taxi from the center to the collectivo depot to Chinchero... It not only rained the whole way there but when we got there, there was more hail on the ground. Very few weavers out and about for the picture taking. Le sigh. I think I did alright though, and all the weavers were excited to see the pictures of their hands. Had lunch in Chinchero-- some kind of thick beef broth soup with barley and veggies, and lomo saltado (salty beef with potatos and rice). Was then packed back into a collectivo to get to Cusco, then a taxi back to the center. Got back just in time to photograph some weavings for their texture, and to help with creating an English version of the index page for Nilda's book. Somewhere in there I did manage to make 6 balls of 30g each of alpaca yarn, however I was hoping to get to the sheep (obeca) yarn as well.

Left work later than usual, hit the grocery store on the way home (only to find that the only thing they had on my list was wine), came home and devoured some guacamole. I'm about to resume work on my weaving, and if I'm lucky, I'll have it finished before heading out for salsa dancing this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment