Monday, August 08, 2011

ISLAND Hill House: The Round-up

I leave the ISLAND Hill House on Wednesday morning, heading back to Cincinnati to begin the full-time packing marathon for my trip to Peru. So I'm wondering what my final numbers are...

My rough count on dye baths, without counting exhaust baths (there were many and I don't remember them all), is 29 dyes in the last two weeks. This includes the individual dye baths for the multi-part dyes like brazilwood, madder, cochineal and safflower. Plus 4 after-mordants today (Washing Soda, Iron, Copper, and Tannic Acid) on top of that.

I ended up with 2 brown paper bags of dyed yarn, 2 over-dyed pieces of wool, 2 tapioca resisted test pieces, and 7 over-dyed pieces of silk.

I finished 2 cut paper pieces (hopefully at least one more tomorrow).

I need a second binder for my dye swatches and notes! And everything I've tested in the last two weeks has been swatched with a full range of fabric samples with an alum mordant and at the very least Iron and Copper after-mordants.

I participated in a butoh dance workshop, and co-taught a dye workshop.

I finished one book, read one book, and started another book.

I got plenty of sleep and ate lots of delicious local veggies.

Would I do it again? Definitely. But maybe with a friend next time (I mean, I don't have anyone to take pictures of me looking triumphant right now...).

No comments:

Post a Comment