Saturday, December 24, 2011

Feliz Navidad

Today the entire Plaza de Armas was closed to car traffic and the whole square was taken over with vendors. Of what? Of Christmas things, mostly. And Peruvian made things (all the sweaters, silver jewelry, Andean textiles, toys, ect you can think of). And tonnes of NGO's and non-profit entities fundraising for their charities. There were lines of people streaming into the square from all sides, and it was the most diverse crowd of people I've seen since I got here (between the tourists from here, there and everywhere, and the Peruvian inter-class mixing). So fascinating. However, it was raining, and the crowds just kept getting bigger, so I came home and worked on weaving for a while. I keep seeing these bracelets that are woven with beads sewn on the edges, and I'd love one, so I decided to come home and make it (now all I have to do is find beads). Add that to all the xmas lights, and you have a glittering, smiling mass of people celebrating the holiday in a way that doesn't make me want to hate Christmas forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment