Sunday, November 27, 2011

Ica Day#2: Lagoon/Oasis & a “tour” of the Sand Dunes

IMG_3528

Woke up, had a nice, relaxed breakfast on a terrace overlooking the lagoon, used my paddle boat ride voucher that came with the hostel to paddle around on the lagoon for a little bit (1 trip around = 5 min), and then headed back to the hostel a little before 10am to get ready for a buggy ride through the desert sand dunes!

IMG_3571

It was like a roller coaster, except driving over real terrain. Suddenly the driver stopped and was like “Ok Sand boards!” and I was like “what?” I got to go down three gigantic hills laying on a sand board, head first, elbows tucked in, steering with my feet. Crazy. Then more rolling over dunes…. But! I survived. (If I get to come back, I want to do the paleontology tour, because there were no fossils on this trip.)

Celebratory Survival Dance, somehow caught as a photograph!
IMG_3612

The desert is so amazingly beautiful and… desolate? No plants, no animals, just sand and wind and the footprints people leave behind. I kept thinking about Lawrence of Arabia’s travels and what it would be like to be in the desert without any sort of horizon lines. It’d be so disorienting and big, just you and the sand and the deep blue of the sky.

IMG_3550

IMG_3558

IMG_3563

IMG_3587

On a side note, there is a certain hilarity to weaving with wool in the middle of the desert. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment