Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Concurso de Tejidos

Every year, the CTTC has a Concurso de Tejidos (Weaving Competition) for the 9 member weaving communities. I've been helping to get this stuff together for a few weeks now, and it actually went down yesterday, with me as the "official event photographer!"

IMG_3367

Got to Chinchero around 10am and spent a frantic 2.5hours with 3 cameras on my person, photographing all ~180 textiles. There were small groups assembled on the lawn, most of them spinning, from the various communities, each very distinct in their traditional dress. At some point I was also drafted to help hang textiles and hand to photograph in the process.

Some of my favorite textiles:

Knitted hats and other traditional objects:
IMG_3381

Poncho from Patabamba:
IMG_3321

Poncho from Patabamba:
IMG_3303

A wall of entries from Chahuaytire, where they do my favorite style of design work:
IMG_3314

A wall of textiles:
IMG_3401

Then lunch, in which they proceeded to stuff me way too full of food (not unexpected) and teased me about how little I eat... Which anyone who knows me is a LIE, however I'm just not a big lunch person and I don't really eat piles of meat and potatoes often, so it's difficult sometimes when that's what hand you. It was delicious, despite everything, especially the soup. (I <3 soup...) Right as the second course was coming out to everybody assembled, the group of "Cultural Explorers" arrived-- this year, it was a group through the Harvard Natural History Museum-- who help fund the event and get to participate in the awards ceremony as part of their cultural exploration.

After lunch came the speeches, mostly in Quechua, however, I'm getting pretty good at getting the gist of things without understand every word (or any words for that matter). I got a front row seat, as the photographer, and photographed all the leaders of the communities. Then, when the awards were being handed I got to photograph the groups of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from each community for each category. And, when the "Explorers" weren't fast enough, also help hand out awards, put on medals for the large textiles (manta blankets, ponchos, ect), and even be in the photos once or twice. By the end, everyone was hot and tired from the strength of the sun, but they were still happy to assemble as a group for a large group photo for the year.

IMG_3437

Of course, you're not done once the ceremony is finished. Then all the textiles have to rapidly come down in some semblance of order, be sorted, folded, and stuffed in bags for transport back to the Center in Cusco. It was like being in Theatre again, with all the straight pins and safety pins I had stuck in my shirt. C:

There was also the matter of correcting any certificates that were incorrect, getting plastic protective sleeves on the certificates, and any last-minute organization that had to be done. These included getting the textiles out to the cars.... I always find it fascinating how much stronger I am then the women here. I picked up some of those bags (not light but not the heaviest thing I've ever carried either) and they just looked at me because they'd been trying without success for a while. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that there really isn't an understanding of "exercise" here? At least, organized exercise. (And I mean, I understand why-- I walk 1-2 hours a day up and down the hills of Cusco, and salsa a few nights a week and really don't feel like I need to go to yoga classes right now. And that's light compared to some of the mountain climbing the people here do on a daily basis depending on where they're from. I just sometimes want to make them do some push ups...or at least light band work for their biceps.) But I digress. Uneventful ride back to Cusco and they dropped me off really near my apt, so no excessively long walks after running around all day at a higher altitude for me, yay!

Of course, today I get the dubious pleasure of photographing the hundreds of photos I took yesterday-- mostly cropping and color touch ups, but still. And I've so far only managed to get through what was on my camera... Le sigh.

Chinchero again tomorrow for a weaving lesson. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment