Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Ritualistic Objects?

This is a Quipu. There were myriads of them in Peru.

This is what I'm working on:



I feel like there is some kind of connection between the two. My professors keep talking about ritualistic/shamanistic objects in relation to my work. They talk about implied bodies, the feminine, and the use of materials in some kind of raw or elemental state. As for me, I'm just working from intuition, and, it would seem, a new-found love of fringe/hair.

In keeping with all this, I've got yet another new artist statement...

Statement
I am interested in ritualized intersections of natural and man-made materials, coming together to create objects that speak of the feminine body and repetitive practices. I’m letting my intuition guide me in the creation of these objects and the materials needed to continue expanding on my practice. Through explorations that combine rubber and wood, hair, felt, steel, or clay, I have begun to create a body of objects that speak much like ancient artifacts do, indicating an absent site and unknown purposes. As the works evolve, they are becoming more embellished and ornamental. This decorative aspect is juxtaposed with the non-preciousness of the rubber, leaving the viewer with more questions than answers as to where these works originate.

1 comment: