Sunday, October 02, 2011

Weaving Lesson #4-- Another day in Chinchero

Today I was feeling ambitious. I came in with the idea of learning another design (did I mention the designs are getting harder?) and of starting a much larger weaving. I managed to do all of this, however, it was a really long day. I didn't manage to get a seat on the bus out there, and the sun was HOT, so the initial warping process for the sample of the Pumal Maquin design was made in discomfort (and I missed a spot on the back of my neck, so I'm a tad sun burnt). I spent the morning working on it and only managed 2 repeats.


After lunch, I learned to warp using the two-person large warping frame method!! So exciting!! The first large weaving I'm doing is mostly plain weave, with one 15 thread design in the center. Good for a bag or a scarf or something. It's about 12" wide and at least 2m long. The design I'm using is called Loraypu-- it's a triangular design, and the first one I've learned that uses both asymmetry and uneven pairs in the pick-up. Slightly confusing but whatever. I can't continue working on it until I get myself a bone pick (hopefully Tuesday) and a piece of pipe for the changing of the sheds. All that really means is I have to finish my J'ak'acu jakima first!


No comments:

Post a Comment