Saturday, October 12, 2013

Bike Tube Experiments





I’m interested in the intersections between art and science. In the past, I’ve explored this through ideas of decay, through the study of chemistry inherent to natural dyeing, and also by co-opting/re-creating natural phenomena and spaces. More recently I’ve begun questioning my responsibility to a sustainable practice and how these ideas affect the work I make. This, in turn, has lead me to my interest in collaborative processes— the collecting of material and research to build a work. This has manifested itself in the form of cultural knowledge (via my fulbright in Peru) as well as a developing dedication to using re-purposed materials, such as bike tubes and cloth from clothes and bedding. As I continue with my explorations, I hope to find a space with the process of collaboration becomes a part of the work and not just its driving influence.



As I continue to work with these materials, I’m finding some kind of ritual in the process. The works are becoming talisman objects, mergers of the natural and the urban. As I continue to work in this way, I want to begin incorporating the mineral elements of my natural dye work… ash, salts, raw materials. They function as relics of a time/place unknown to me, however they make a kind of sense…

All images+content property of Katie Vota

No comments:

Post a Comment