Saturday, January 28, 2012

Ahh the adventures of cooking in Peru without an oven...

So I have an oven. But, my landlady says we're not supposed to use it, because it's not very efficient. But I wanted this apartment partly because it had an oven. So now what do I do?

Obviously I respect her wishes and try not to use the oven (except for cookie emergencies).

What does trying not to use an oven look like?
-Crepes or pancakes instead of baked deserts
-No Bake Cookies
-Going out to purchase pizza instead of making your own *I detest this situation...*
-Saute instead of roast your veggies
-Learn to make cakes in the Microwave...

On that last one... I'm sure you've seen the recipes that float around the internet for Microwave Chocolate Cake in a Mug! I tried it once in Michigan. Not bad actually. But, I am ambitious, and have been CRAVING banana bread, so I decided to make that this morning in my microwave. And it worked! It's not quite like what you'd get in an oven but in a pinch (this counts as a pinch), it is full of banana and tasty for breakfast.

The recipe I adapted...


Banana Bread in a Mug
4 Tbsp flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 egg
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
2 T. vegetable oil
1/2 mashed banana
1 T. chopped pecans (optional)
Chocolate chips (optional)

In a large microwaveable mug, fully blend flour, sugars, salt, baking powder & baking soda. Add egg until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Stir in oil, then banana, then nuts. Pop into the microwave 1-1/2 minutes to 3 minutes, depending on your microwave. (Just don’t overcook when you are cooking in the microwave, or you’ll have sponge cake.)
**in Peru microwave—2min

No comments:

Post a Comment